The Health Museum of Cleveland
A Proud Tradition of Education
The first of its kind in the Western Hemisphere, The Health Museum of Cleveland was founded in 1936 by the president of Cleveland’s Academy of Medicine and a dedicated group of physicians, dentists and community leaders. The museum opened its doors to the public in 1940 and since that time has provided health education and information in a museum setting.
In 1950, the museum introduced its permanent exhibits and museum icon, Juno the Transparent Talking Woman, made her debut. 1952 saw the establishment of the Frohring Education Center, the beginning of a legacy that lives on today. A $2.5 million expansion program was completed in the early 1970s, adding two three-story exhibition wings, a revitalized education center including a 156-seat auditorium, two garden courtyards, a reception area and lobby.
Over the years, new programs and new activities strengthened the museum’s reputation as the source of vital health information. Critical public health issues were often first addressed through school-based education programs and community conferences in the Education Center. Programs that addressed issues like HIV/AIDS, Alzheimer’s disease, obesity, child abuse prevention, smoking cessation, and reproductive health have served as models both nationally and internationally. The museum remains focused on current public health issues and life science discoveries through outreach activities that encourage healthy lifestyle choices. Health on Wheels. Distance Learning and Workplace Wellness programs continue the mission to deliver unbiased community-based health education.
The museum has always had the know-how and the faculty to teach healthy lifestyle choices. With the opening of HealthSpace Cleveland’s exhibit gallery and education center in November, there will finally be the environment to match.
The White Mansion Renovation
Staying in Touch with Cleveland’s Heritage
The White Mansion, home to HealthSpace Cleveland’s administrative staff, is one of only ten remaining Millionaire’s Row properties on Euclid Avenue, once called “one of the most beautiful streets in America.”
The White Mansion was designed and built (1898-1901) for Henry Windsor White by Frank B. Meade, a Cleveland-born architect who was educated at MIT. Meade designed 16 homes on Euclid Avenue and was founding president of the Hermit Club. The house remained in the White family until 1957 when grandson Henry Packard White sold it to Cleveland Temple Memorial Funeral Home. The Health Museum purchased the building in 1976 and leased it for office space until early 1999 when the $1.3 million renovation project began. Overseen by architect Stephen J. Bucchieri, more than 100 workers and 26 trades were involved in the renovation. Historical restorations specialist R.W. Clark Company acted as the project’s general contractor.
To preserve the mansion’s Victorian-Gothic charm, original walls, pocket doors, decorative columns, stained and leaded glass windows, decorative fireplaces, original wood floors and floor mosaics were painstakingly restored.